So why get certified? Get a new job, enhance my skillset, make me feel productive?
All of that. I’ve been inspired by SQLFamily, ‘listening’ to what they do and experience on Twitter with all of the events and new technologies that they are into, and it’s made me want more. Made me think that in order to be marketable, I have to have the skills, especially ones that are up to date. I’ve had a few interviews, but the issue is that my skillset, specifically BI, is a bit stale.
So, I’m setting the date for my exam at March 1, 2016. I know that seems like a long time, but with everything I have going on at work and the amount of overtime I’ll be doing, I’d like to stay sane…and married 🙂
- Talk to smart people. CHECK! I pinged the SQLFamily and got advice on getting started. Most of which was websites I am going to put on another page as I go along.
- Get the training kit, specifically in this case, the one that goes along with the exam I’m taking 70-463.
- Look at how others approached it. I was tweeting with Cathrine yesterday and she sent me the link to her page – http://www.cathrinewilhelmsen.net/2015/04/30/preparing-for-and-taking-exam-70-463-implementing-a-data-warehouse-with-microsoft-sql-server-2012/ which was helpful.
- Start reading, and start practicing.
- Stop watching NCIS 24-7. (What a great show)
- Remember why you’re doing it.
Okay, so I’m going to go do some reading while I save a few pennies to buy the training kit.